My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Tuesday 11 January 2011

Where I am up to

I had an appointment on 4th January with Dr Bloor to discuss and start to finalise things. Mike came with me for support, and we both had a few questions.
My bloods/temp/blood pressure came back fine which is great, as I'd had a temperature the night before, and I was a bit worried I was going to need antibiotics, or a transfusion or something!
We sat in with Dr Bloor, and another Nurse on the Haematology/Transplant Team. Dr Bloor just asked a few questions about my last chemo, asked if I still wanted to go ahead with the transplant, but said he already knew the answer! He said there was no point discussing risks etc any further, as I have been told everything there is to know, and I had clearly made up my mind.
I told him when Shelleys appointment was (in a week), and he told me to go back the day after her appointment to finalise everything, and sign consent forms etc.

The Nurse asked Mike and I if we wanted to see the ward, and of course we agreed! I think it's better to be prepared!
She gave me a booklet that contains some useful info - info about the ward, protocols, what staff are on there, visiting times etc, diet sheet, exercises to do.
Then she took us to the ward and walked us down the corridor past the 18 rooms used for transplants.
There are 6 rooms for donor transplants, and these differ as they have high pressure air filters. To get into each of these 6 rooms people must also go through a seperate room to wash their hands.
These rooms also have 'hatches' for clean/dirty (in/out) items.

I was told in my first week there whilst I have chemo (one that isn't as strong as the usual 'BEAM) called FCM (or maybe it's FMC!) I won't be confined to my room - which is great. At least that will get me used to being there a bit better! I will be able to walk about the hospital/go to the shop etc!
Once I receive the Stem Cells is when I will be confined to my room!

Shelley had her appointment today; her blood pressure has come down, and she has lost some weight, and has been given the go ahead for the Stem Cell Harvest.
I am looking to be admitted around 19th January (I will find out for definite tomorrow), and Shelley will be going in on 25th for her Harvest. I will then get her Cells the same day, or the day after!

One down side is that I will be in the hospital for my Birthday...but hey...it's only one out of a lot more isn't it!

So thats all I can really write for now. I have a feeling the next week will pass slowly, even though I wish it would hurry up, as I just want to get in there and get this treatment started!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Just to wish you good luck.
    My son (he's 28) had his stem cell transplant on 6th December, so I know what a hard process it is.
    Stay strong,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete