My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Monday 7 June 2010

Slowly slowly catchy monkey........

I don't know where time has gone since I last wrote a blog, and i'm not sure I remember everything, but i'll try my best...

Well, the most prominant thing I remember is 23rd May - which was our fundraiser 'Pamper Day'.
Amazing weather for the day - which helped, as we sat outside most of the day (ooops, got sunburnt!).
Lots of different alternative therapies were available - Reiki, different massages, reflexology, indian head massage, hand massages, tarrot card readings etc etc!
We also had some professional photographers - Chris and I had some lovely pictures taken.
The whole day raised £1055.60!!!

Since then, i've been to Christies once, and had my steroids stopped (again, they weren't doing anything).

I've been to 'Southlands High School' in Chorley, as they had done some fundraising. I went, with Melissa to receive the cheque. The school had raised a whopping £1414! The Chorley Guardian also came and wrote a piece and took pictures.
'St Pauls', my old primary school in Farington Moss did a non-uniform day, and raised £338.

Batleys Cash & Carry (where I used to work, and also I am a customer of there as I use it for my shop) have been raising loads of money in store!

The 'Dogathon' went ahead on Bank Holiday Monday - can you believe I actually walked the whole thing! Chris and Teagan were with me, along with my sister, and at least 20 other people! The weather was great, and we had a lot of fun (the dogs were all well behaved too!)

Chris and I (and Teagan) spent Bank Holiday weekend up in Shap in his parents caravan. It was really nice to get away from home for a while, and forget about being ill (even if I was in a lot of pain most of the time!)


I spoke to the Royal Free a few weeks ago, and was told once I have £10,500 - enough for a deposit - I can transfer it to them, and can get 'booked in' for the treatment. They will then 'bill me' for the rest of the money after the treatment. Because of this, at my last appointment at Christies, I asked the doctors if they could start things moving by booking me in for the tests I need before I go down to the Royal Free.
They acted pretty quickly, and on Friday I had a heart scan, this Wednesday I have a PET scan, and Thursday I have a Bone Marrow Biopsy (this will be my third!).

The bank account was finally set up on Friday, after much chasing up, because banks seen to love to work slowly!
All the money and cheques up to date were paid in, and we're just waiting for the cheques to clear, and we will have an accurate total on how much we've raised.
We're sure we've got the deposit, and getting very close to the total we need.

We have a fundraiser on the evening of Tuesday 22nd June, near Preston, which is a 2 course Italian Meal for £20 (£10 of which pays for the food, and the other £10 goes to my fund) - we've got the, whole restaurant - and hoping people will come, as the 'Helping Heather' team would love to meet the people who have helped raise the money so far! It should be a great night!

Lastly, I've had my pain relief changed to morphine, as I spent the whole bank holiday weekend in pain, and the Tramadol wasn't working any more :(
I've also found a new lump on the left side of my body - which has always previously been clear - so it's been quite an emotional time recently.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the fundraising is going so well - sincerely hope you get your treatment soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you can start moving on getting your treatment Heather. Sorry to hear that you have had to 'up' your pain relief, but hopefully it will only be for a short time. I know from experience that the tension caused by being in pain actually exacerbates the pain, so the relief should be two-fold.
    Best wishes honey, I think of you often, even though we've never met!

    ReplyDelete