My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Monday, 28 June 2010

Admittance to Prison – Day 1

After waking up this morning at the hotel, Shelley, Mark and I went down for breakfast, then went to a local convenience store so I could buy a few snacks for in hospital.
We then picked up my luggage, and walked across to the hospital, waited a short while for a lift, and went up to the eleventh floor, and straight to the ward (11 east).
We arrived at 10am and after a while someone noticed us, asked why we were there. I explained I was here to be booked into a room, as one of Dr McNamaras patients. She then rudely asked “And who are you?”.
I gave her my name, and she led us to the relative’s room to wait. We waited, and waited, and someone came and told us the room was being cleaned. Shelley and Mark had to leave at 11:30 to go and get their train, and at about 11:45.
A nurse took my details and asked for MRSA swabs. Dr McNamara then came in and explained a few things, and told me the Nuclear Medicine team would come early afternoon to give me my treatment.
After he left, a nurse came and took bloods from me. Someone brought me some dinner (urgh).
About 1pm another doctor came in and examined me, and took a few notes.
Then another nurse came and took more blood, as they couldn’t find the first lot that had been taken. A student nurse then came and did my obs, and told me I had low blood pressure.
Shortly after, a nurse came to take MORE blood as the second lot had apparently clotted!
About 3:30pm the Nuclear Medicine team and gave me my treatment, which took about 30 mins. It came on a big powered trolley! A lead screen was placed inside the door at the entrance to the room, and I am not allowed past it, and no one is allowed to my side of it. One of the team then checked my radiation level, which from 1 metre away was 113!
I was told that when it is down to about 30, is when I can leave – generally 5-8 days, usually more on the 8 days. I will have my radiation level monitored each day.
Meals are passed over on paper plates, plastic knives and forks, polystyrene cups, even bits of paper that come across to my side must be thrown in the bin for proper waste disposal!
The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent eating tea (urgh), and chatting online!
Trying to sleep is the next task!

No comments:

Post a Comment