My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Wednesday 6 January 2010

July 2009 - Waste of time!

2nd July - It took 6 attempts to get the PICC in, my arm is killing. Most attempt didn't get past the local anasthetic and first needle, but one attemtp got as far as threading a guide wire in, so my skin was cut with a scalpel, and is now throbbing, as the guide wire didn't go in.

The PICC that worked is JUST under where I bend my arm - normally they are a lot higher.
It's very uncomfortable and sore, and still hasn't stopped bleeding where it was cut with the scalpel.

To top it off, the Sister said my veins are too thin, and this PICC line will not last. She thinks I need a central line, and says I need to speak to my doc on Monday when I go for chemo, and ask that I have a central line 2 weeks after chemo. If they agree, this PICC line can be taken out as soon as chemo is finished.
I started the day feeling great, but now i'm battered and very bruised, cant move my arm properly, and pretty sure i'm still bleeding slightly.

9:45pm (Day of PICC insertion)
Phoned the hospital emergency line a couple of hours ago, told them it was still bleeding, she said to keep my eye on it, and call back in an hour.
I called back an hour later, as it's still bleeding, and she said not to worry, it sounds normal.
She said if I am worried, go to my local walk in centre and have a nurse change it.
Great, but theres no walk in centre local to me
Don't want to bother people at A&E, so will wait till tomorrow and call docs in the morning to see if I can get an appointment with a nurse for a dressing change.

Picture of the PICC Line (With dressing) DO NOT click if you are squemish!
Ok, the bit where the blood is...is supposed to be a small blue line going into my skin.
The reason the blood hasn't soaked onto the gauze that you can see is because the dressings are layered.
It goes PICC line and statlock (white thing with blue writing - holds tube in place) - dressing - tube with end wrapped in gauze (so it doesnt rub) - dressing - dressing.
The blood has soaked onto the underside of the statlock, which is about an inch lower than the entrance site.
It's all covered so can't leak anywhere and I feel a bit calmer now, so i'll wait till tomorrow and try and see the nurse at my surgery.

4th July 2:46am - Currently laying in a hospital bed, fully clothed listening to everyone snoring. Only came for (another) dressing change as I was still bleeding so didnt bring an overnight bag. I have phlebitis in my arm, doc is worried I might get cellulitus, and i am still bleeding! Got here at 11pm, and they only just decided to keep me in. Got to have antibiotics and be reviewed in the morning!

Discharged about 1pm.
Got about 4 hours of broken sleep.....the snoring didn't stop.
Had 1 1/2 slices of cold soggy toast for breakfast......!

Had my arm cleaned and dressed last night, and AGAIN this morning, and it's STILL bleeding.
It's not going to heal, because it's in the crook of my arm, every time I move my arm the line moves in and out, which is painful.
My arm is seizing up and quite painful because i'm having to hold it in a certain position. Got a hot pack on at the moment to try and help.
After chemo on Monday, i'm making them take it out, I deffinately cant deal with it any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment