My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Wednesday 6 January 2010

It started in 2002...

It al started in 2002. I was 19, and [eventually] diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, stage 4.
I had a large mass in my chest (right lung cavity), that measured approx 10x19 cm.
It was a shock to us all, because i'd always been pretty healthy, and the only symptoms that i'd had was a cough, and shortness of breath.
I underwent various tests, and finally a course of treatment was decided - I was to have 6 treatments (lasting 6 months in total) of a very strong chemotherapy, called 'Frontal Hybrid', or 'ChIVPP/EVA' (which is the initials for the drugs I had).
It seemed to do the trick - although making me very ill. I lost a lot of weight, was sick a lot, lost all my hair, picked up numerous infections, and had a lot of blood transfusions, and a few months after the end, (March 2003)I had 15 days of Radiotherapy - which was a complete breeze compared to the chemo!

CT scans showed the tumour had shrunk considerably, and over time, I was told I was in remission, and I slowly got on with my life, trying to get it back to normal (whatever that is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment