My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Up to Today - Day 98

I am now on Day 98 since the transplant, and everything is going well!
Still....more weekly visits, but the doctors being very pleased with my progress.
Dr Bloor said I was an example of how a transplant should go, and how recovery should be - thats a positive thing to hear from a Doctor, and he is always so straight! I like his attitude, he tells it like it is!

My Ciclosporine levels (anti-rejection drug) have been up and down, rather than stable (should be 150, but mine have been as low as 34, and as high as 260!) but luckily doctors didn't seem too bothered, as I wasn't having any unwanted symptoms/side effects.

Last week, on day 89 I had a PET scan, and I got the results yesterday...........lets say they are good
No signs of the cancer that was there before my chemo at the end of last year!
My lungs are very scarred, and the is a lymph node under my right arm that is 'active', but it's not grown since my scan in December, so they aren't thinking it's cancer, just scarring really (as if it was cancer, it would grow). They also tested the 'donor cells' in my body, and these are at 100% - which is apparently great
I have another Bone Marrow Biopsy next Tuesday, and they are also going to take my Central Line out of my chest
I feel i'm on the road to being 'normal' again!

I'm still on weekly visits, until I am off my anti-rejection drugs, then I'll move to fortnightly, then monthly!
They will still keep a close eye on me, so lets hope my body has learned to fight cancer now, instead of accepting it's a 'normal' part of me!

I've developed GVHD (Graft versus Host Disease) - my skin is very flakey on my face and hands, and itches a bit, but they've given me steroid cream for that.....but developing GVHD isn't a bad thing, especially before day 100 - and i've only just developed it!
I can deal with dry skin (much like psoriosis (sp)).

2 comments:

  1. "I feel like I'm on the road to being normal" How wonderful to read that - so very pleased for you, Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each day is a gift from God, too many tend to forget that until reminded by the hard times of someone else or life issues they must face. Pray that you continue to get stronger each day.

    ReplyDelete