My History

I've been wanting to write a blog about my experiences for a while, but never did get around to it.
I've finally decided to sit down and sort it all out, so i'll start at the beginning, and add some blog entries from my diary.
Apologies if some entries are long, and also written in different tenses - it depends when I actually wrote them!

Saturday 18 December 2010

Getting hard to remember....

It's getting hard to remember to update anything, my mind is so mashed with the chemo!
This will probably repeat a lot of the last entry, but here goes anyway.....

Had 2 scans after 2nd chemo, and got the results a fortnight ago.
It's worked really well, so doctors are pleased.
We got to see the PET scans, which was amazing to see how much the cancer had shrank, and also how less active it is.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not cured, and it hasn't gone, there is a LOT of cancerous lymph nodes in my chest. The ones under my arm are a lot smaller and less active.
A lot of the ones in my neck have gone, and the ones that remain are not very active at all.

Last Tuesday Shelley came with me to the hospital as I had an appointment with the doctor who deals with the transplants.
I should be having my transplant in about 4 weeks, but before I have it, I've got to have some organ functions tests, and Shelley (my donor) also has to have some tests, and have some medication just before she donates - to stimulate the growth of more stem cells.

Because i've got to have these tests, the doctor wants me to have another dose of chemo - not because I 'need' it, but more because he doesn't want me to go 8 weeks with no chemo, as my cancer is very agressive, and will start to grow in that time (it's 4 weeks since I finished 2nd chemo, and 4 weeks till transplant).

They tried to get me a bed late last week, so I could be out by the start/middle of next week, but unfortunately there were no beds until Monday.
So I go in on Monday morning, and they will try to rush the chemo & fluids as much as they can to get me out on Christmas Eve. If not, it will be Christmas Day that I get out on!

I have to go back on 4th January to see the transplant doctor again (I will have had organ function tests by then), and hopefully should have the transplant a week or 2 after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment